NOTICE: There are only 4 more days to buy tickets for the RawArtists Showcase!!
I have been working on creating an entirely new line for this show and I couldn’t be more excited. But first, let me tell you more about what we’ve got going on:
Date: Thursday, June 26, 2014
Location: Stereo Live (Houston, TX)
Time: 7:30 – 12a
Cost: $15 per ticket – Buy them here
What I get for being a “RawArtist”:
Participating RAW artists receive:
- A profile portfolio on RAWartists.org, upload pics, videos, MP3s and more information on yourself and your work. (reserved only for RAW artists)
- Promotion on our localized social media outlets
- Placement in the RAW Showcase Event (a showcase with 500-800+ attendees)
- An on-camera video interview, edited into a professional video that can be used to tell the world who you are (examples: http://www.youtube.com/RAWartistsTV)
- Professional head shots and photos of your work, collection, performance, band or whatever you happen to be presenting (also great for portfolios, social media or websites)
- A free showcase: Once you have showcased in your city and completed your ticket commitment, you can showcase in any other city (within a year of your first showcase) out-of-state FOR FREE! Yep, we want you to keep your work moving. Have your art seen or heard in London, Austin, Minneapolis, Los Angeles or even Sydney!
- Complimentary admission into any RAW show +1 guest, forever
- RAWards eligibility at the end of the season. This is our annual indie arts awards season where 9 national winners are honored and receive huge career building prizes like gallery placement, meetings with record labels, and placement in boutiques, etc. If you’ve been selected, you’re automatically in the running.
- I AM INDIE Blog: We also work really hard to get you advice from the experts on different facets of the creative professional world
- RAWk Wall: We bring you exclusive deals, opportunities, competitions, discounts and more…
- We have strategic partnerships with organizations, companies and industry players to continue to bring more opportunities to the forefront
My Idea for Panorama:
It would be impossible for me to explain where I am going without telling you where my thoughts and dreams linger.
I am to my core… an independent designer. I believe in community. I believe in building a future together, and I believe in following dreams without selling out. I never dream of being rich and famous (thought, don’t get me wrong… I wont rule it out) I just want to be happy. That might beg you to ask… well what makes you happy? I am the happiest when I am designing clothing for women that fits amazingly. I love to see how my dresses light up the faces of the wears and boost their confidence. Women with confidence can and WILL change the world. I will always do what I can to help them get there.. obviously through amazing dresses.
I have been thinking for a while about HOW I could partner with my local community here in Houston. It’s a large city, with lots of people and no one seems to be concerned with a local fashion designer trying to change her community. Then I remembered this fantastic woman I had met, Maria Cummings. I met her through a previous job, and I can tell you that we are soul sisters. Somehow her soul just knows when mine is having a hard time digesting new information, dealing with the daily stressors of being an independent business owner, the silliness of interns and she really understands my creative mind. I am, in fact… my own worst nightmare. She gets it, she get’s me.. and she keeps pushing me forward. I am so very lucky to have her.
A few months back she was mentioning to me that she was finally going to start a non-profit. For years this woman has been in the trenches digging and begging for help. She works side by side with people who have fallen on to hard times, or those coming out of bad situations. She helps find them a place to live through Start of Hope, helps get their furniture through the furniture bank, and helps get them clothing through donated clothing from her clients. For a more than just a people looking to go back to school, she has even paid out of pocket for meningitis shots. She stands by the philosophy, “Everyone deserves a second chance”. She pours her heart and soul into each person, for as they grown in live, she growth them them.. step by step.
Now, I have fallen on a hard time MANY times… I am young.. I am inexperienced in some ways, and overly experienced in others. I react quickly to certain things and I have to pay the price for my darting tongue often. Maria has been a life coach to me for over the past year, and I owe it to her, and to my community to give back.
There is where the upcoming show comes into play.
She has allowed me to go through the bags of clothing and to choose whatever I want to create new items. For me this means that I am not spending out of pocket expenses on material, with no guarantee that it will even sell (which means I’m negative in my business), I am also forced to get back to my roots, and above all else.. I have to learn to be creative again.
Repurposed, recycled and upcycled clothing can be a challenge. It’s difficult to envision what a leather jacket can be turned into.. or even a hospital gown. However for me.. it’s a transformation… a rebirth, and it’s exactly what I need.
I am going through my own transformation, and the show will be a symbol of what I am going through. Taking something old and worn… then breathing new life into it.
I plan to show the clothing on the runway with before pictures above the models walking down the runway. I am working with a local music artists to have her perform during the show while the models walk. We will be playing a video before the show to show where Amazing Grace Charities as come, as well as Ashton Miyako Designs.
I’m excited… it’s emotional.. and I just want to pour my heart and soul in to it.
I hope that you will come see the show. If you do, you will get a chance to meet me (if you haven’t already) and to also meet Maria and her business assistant and partner, Matthew. They are both amazing people!
If you can’t make it, but you are interested in supporting Amazing Grace Charities, here is how you can!